 I checked out Swan Lake refuge, Chariton Co. Mo. today. There is really no good shorebird habitat. The only shorebirds I found besides Killdeer were Several Spotted Sandpipers that flew off the rocks around Silver lake. I did find some other interesting birds;

  American Bittern
  Bald Eagle - 1 Immature
  Northern Harrier - 2
  Red-shouldered Hawk
   Cooper's Hawk
  Caspian Tern - 1 adult followed by a begging juvenile
  Barred Owl
  Sedge Wrens
  Am. Coot - several FOS
  Blackburnian Warbler
  Savannah Sparrow - 2 - 3 FOS

   Most interesting though was when I was listening to a bunch of Soras in South Pool. They are usually thick there in the Fall after water is put in the dense vegetation that has grown up over the year. I threw a couple rocks in and clapped my hands as this sometimes really gets the Soras going. It worked this time and the Soras were sounding off all over. Then I heard tic-tic tictictic, tic-tic tictictic. Yellow Rail !?? This pattern was repeated several times. I then picked up couple of pieces of gravel and tried duplicating the sound. The calls continued, not sure if it was response to my efforts or just caught up in the cascade of Sora calls. I never could see the bird so I walked down closer and one Sora flew up. Then all the calling stopped. I searched the area for awhile but never saw anything else. This was around 2:45 this afternoon. I know YERA are not supposed to call in daylight or during migration but can't think what else it could be? Listened to CD when I
 got home and YERA sounded very much like what I heard. I have heard Sora make alot of different sounds but nothing close to this..

   Later, Steve Kinder
   Chillicothe, Livingston Co.