Today in Holt county, I finally saw more variety of warblers.  There were
two female Blackburnian (one was a first year), Northern Parula, Black and
White Warbler, Nashville, Yellow and a female Wilson's.  The Wilson's had
orange on the crown.  When I saw the orange, I first thought of Nashville,
but the field marks were simply Wilson's.  It must have been pollen.  She
was otherwise so beautifully bright yellow.  Wilson's has been the most
common warbler here for the past month.  An immature Blue Grosbeak was with
the warblers and was so drab brownish.  The bill looked enormous and there
was a faint wingbar.  I watched a Bell's Vireo bathe in water flowing out of
a culvert on the refuge, and the passerines (warblers, vireos, tanagers,
orioles, waxwings) are flocking to it for bathing.  Waxwings are so abundant
this year.
Least Flycatchers are still easy to find.  Shorebirds are almost
non-existent here.  Long-billed Dowitcher, Stilt Sandpiper, a handful of
yellowlegs and a single Least Sandpiper are all that were present today.
After discussing the preparation of habitat for shorebirds with refuge
employees, it seems that the preparation of the mudflats was delayed to
prevent early mowing, which results in killing other critters.  One
suggestion made was that a corner of a field should be kept mowed to the
ground all spring and summer so that it could be disked and flooded by July
1st without loss of life to other birds, reptiles and animals.
There are about 250 N. Pintails at the refuge Squaw Creek.
Tommie Rogers
Mound City, MO