  From: Diana Manister
  To: [log in to unmask]
  Sent: Thursday, August 31, 2006 1:21 PM
  Subject: Re: Eliot and Biography

  My plain text is still not working. Hope this font is not too large!

  T.S. Eliot's Personal Waste Land by James E. Miller, Jr. explores many of the explicit and implicit references in the poem, such as the strong possibility that the dead Phoenician sailor represents Eliot's grief for his friend Jean Verdenal, to whom he dedicated his first volume of poems, Prufrock and Other Observations in 1917. (The 1925 edition included with the dedication the words "mort aux Dardanelles.")

  The view that TWL express the the voice of a generation is not contradicted by its having been written by an author personally impacted by the events of WWI. An exploration of the evidence of those effects as found in Eliot's letters and other reliable sources would seem to be a legitimate scholarly pursuit. Diana