Amen!
P.
----- Original Message -----
From: [log in to unmask] href="mailto:[log in to unmask]">cr mittal
To: [log in to unmask] href="mailto:[log in to unmask]">[log in to unmask]
Sent: Sunday, September 24, 2006 3:22 PM
Subject: Re: Eliot and Unitarianism

Diana,

A work of art is always open to different
interpretations. One gets from it what one brings
to it. Someone will find in it a reflection of this or
that tendency in the author, another a vision
different from one found elsewhere in another
creed.

To me, for instance, the phrase "Christ the tiger"
holds a lasting appeal as the Godhead in us who
puts on the destructive aspect of a "tiger" (cf.
William Blake's "Tiger") and destroys the evil
in us -- from time to time -- as the Hindu Lord
Krishna says in the Bhagavad Gita. Incidentally,
one of the twelve incarnations of the Supreme
Reality in Hindu mythology is that of Narsimha
(half-man, half lion).

One is welcome to study an author's personal
proclivities no end if one wants to. To me Eliot's
permanent appeal lies in the images in his work
that transcend the limited circumstances of their
creation -- it's a transfiguration, as I had had
occasion to remark, from facts to artefacts.

Best,
CR

Regarding Eliot's deviseness, I would go a step further and speculate that// he seems to have been deeply committed to it, in the sense of seeing man and God as divided from each other. // There is some evidence, as cited in Kearns' book T.S. Eliot and Indic Traditions, that // Eliot identified more with the dualistic Christian worship of an external God than the Vedantic recognition of the identity of the deep self with Brahman. //

//Kearns// sees "Gerontion" as a playing of one vision off against the other. //He// also interprets The Fire Sermon as an expression of conflict or tension between the two paths or religious perspectives.

It was discussed previously on this list //what Eliot meant when he said// that to embrace the Indic or Hindu path would have required him to give up something of himself that he was unwilling to abandon -- perhaps it was this very split of God/self. //Paul Elmer More, author of The Philosophy of the Upanishads, whose view Eliot said was close to his own, wrote// Catholic Faith:
"The error of the Christian who would rise above Christianity is in thinking that he can amalgamate the command, "Thou shalt love the Lord thy god," with the ruthless law of the absolute, "Brahmasmi, I am Brahma".

The phrase "Thou Art That" which was also discussed here at length, is an expression of the oneness of god and devotee, //an identification foreign to Christianity. //

//Kearns said //that the conflict between the two paths, dualistic and non-dualistic, "had the potential, at least, of sending Eliot's mind...'beyond the cirucuit of the shuddering Bear/in fractured atoms."  //So it was perhaps to keep his Western mind intact that he made a commitment to Christian dualism, the division of god and man, whereas Vedantism offered the option of oneness. // Diana