In a message dated 01/09/2006 22:42:17 GMT Daylight Time, [log in to unmask] writes:
Peter wrote:
The poem as a perceptual device of one's own world, and one's
own experience is much more relevant.

I take it you buy into the French view that the text exists apart from the human being that created it. Perhaps that old scenario of monkeys typing texts can be updated to computers creating texts unrelated to human experience, leaving readers in solipsistic bliss. Diana

A lot of forays into and around and around the aesthetic theory maze are being made just now !

- isn't it usually a case of layers of perception and multiple perspectives / meanings ? - eg.,  about which particular facets of the author/maker's skilfully-cut gem happened to sparkle for you as the perceiver at that particular moment and in your particular state of [emotional *and* factual] mind. Or, thinking of a wellknown biblical image, isn't our perception as 'knowing' adults of such things often of the 'but through a glass, darkly' kind ? Similarly, this kind of extraneous 'knowledge' may reveal some more facets but often at the expense many of other [ often much brighter]  ones but doesn't it always inevitably and irrevocably alter that experience ?
But, however we define them, suppose we're still discussing and looking-at cut gemstones as opposed to crude and ugly lumps of coal or rock or stone.....

David