--- marcin ostrouch <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> I imagine that this is what Eliot has in mind
> writing in his essay on
> Dante:
> 'The contemplation of the horrid or sordid or
> disgusting, by an artist,
> is the necessary and negative aspect of the impulse
> toward the pursuit
> of beauty.
> [...] The negative is the more importunate.'
>
> There is no gainsaying that the dichotomy between
> the ideal and the real
> is the central dichotomy which informed TSE's
> thought and sensitivity.
> I agree with Harriet Davidson, that TSE in both his
> poetry and thought was
> trying to resolve dichotomies of various kinds, by
> "hermeneutic [...]
> circular grounding of seeming opposites in each
> other".

Marcin, couldn't we sum up these points in one word:
dialectics? (Since I've started reading Eliot, I had a
feeling he's a master of it, and your post only
confirms my thoughts on the same subject.) I've
already mentioned in my previous mail some other
dialectical moments present in the poem, and the ones
you brought up fit that picture as well.
All in all, your points are very interesting and I
agree with them, and I'm very glad that CR asked you
to clarify them, since your reply was very fruitful :)

Best!

Dunja