Thanks, Diana.

As for aspects of a writer's personality entering "unawares"
into his/her work, yes certainly they do, there's no doubt
about that. I was only concerned with the craftsmanship
of a writer as regards his artistic/creative manipulation of
the material "known" to him/her -- from his/her own life as
well as from elsewhere.

I myself subscribe to the view that "the poem has an emotional consistency and a central consciousness that unifies its apparently disparate elements. On this basis descriptions of the poem's emotional tone are in order". We attribute these aspects
of the poem to the narrator who need not necessarily be
poet himself. Eliot said it was Tiresias.

Regards.

~ CR

CR, A collocation, yes. Eliot's original title "He Do the Police in Different Voices" bears that out. Although I do believe Eliot gives away some personal details accidentally. Did he deliberately inject misogyny into his poems or was it unconscious? The most guarded person sometimes has lapses in his/her vigilance. I once saw a videotaped session of psychotherapy patient who said "no" while nodding "yes." Even a genius as much in control of his material as Eliot lets things slip out unawares.
Nancy puts forth an idea in her students' guide to TWL that supports an exploration into his biography -- the poem has an emotional consistency and a central consciousness that unifies its apparently disparate elements. On this basis descriptions of the poem's emotional tone are in order, and information about the author's life at the time of the work's creation seem relevant.
Diana
In any case,

Do you Yahoo!?