Dear Marcin,

I've been thinking of the questions you rose at the
List and here are some ideas (and further questions)
I've come up to.
The subject appearing in Eliot's Preludes seems to be
undetermined, and in so far, I guess it could be even
see as the generic one. In any case, the main
characteristic of the subject (when I say the subject,
I don't mean the subject of the speaker, but the
subject the poem speaks of, but in how far they should
be distinguished at all, I'll say something a bit
later) is his/her passivity. While in the part I the
subject is set against the world (being subjected to
its course), in the part II (s)he is set against the
time (being "condemned" to it) . (I think the second
verse of the part II shares some of the ideas
appearing in Prufrock, and I'd be glad to discuss that
issue as well).
In the part III, we finally see the subject *doing*
something, but even that ("you tossed a blanket") is
the action of removing = replying to what has already
been there. But what this part seems to bring is the
(only?) action left to the subject - to have a vision
(in solitude). Now, in the part IV, the subject of the
speaker finally appears, but almost equivalent to the
subject (s)he is  talking about - it is again a
passive subject (i am moved... I cling...). The final
verse reveals a sort of "catharsic" discovery of the
subject (both the speaker and the one (s)he is
speaking of), similar to the relation of the ancient
Greeks towards the destiny: as the destiny is
uncontrollable even by gods themselves, why making so
much fuss about it?
It seems to me that the status of the subject in the
poem could be compared with Heidegger's notion of
"being thrown into the world" (excuse my formulation,
I'm not sure how this expression is to be translated
in English), as well as with the "eigentlich" and
"uneigentlich" modes of "Dasein".
However, I don't see why the poem would stand in the
opposition to the classical subject-object relation,
and how would that be related to the "ontological
shock" you mentioned. If by "ontological shock" you
consider the realization of the finiteness of human
being, then this idea is definitely present in both
Preludes and the Love Song of A.J. Prufrock, but I
don't see how that could be connected with an
anti-Cartesian approach. Could you develop a bit more
on that?

Cheers,

Dunja