I don't know why you are so reminded.
Perhaps A's sentimentalism?
----- Original Message -----
From: "Vishvesh Obla" <[log in to unmask]>
To: <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Wednesday, September 27, 2006 5:14 AM
Subject: Re: Eliot and Divisions

'Eliot's  imagination/vision
finds  _common grounds_  between different religious
and philosophic systems '

CR,

Why am I reminded here of Mathew Arnold ? :)

'THE FUTURE of poetry is immense, because in poetry,
where it is worthy of its high destinies, our race, as
time goes on, will find an ever surer and surer stay.
There is not a creed which is not shaken, not an
accredited dogma which is not shown to be
questionable, not a received tradition which does not
threaten to dissolve. Our religion has materialised
itself in the fact, in the supposed fact; it has
attached its emotion to the fact, and now the fact is
failing it. But for poetry the idea is everything; the
rest is a world of illusion, of divine illusion.
Poetry attaches its emotion to the idea; the idea is
the fact. The strongest part of our religion to-day is
its unconscious poetry.'

- Arnold, 'Study of Poetry'