You're absolutely right on that. The Christian devotee
  as well as the Hindu aspirant, both trudge the path to
  glory -- through pitfalls, trials and tribulations -- yes,
  through much conflict that forms the drama of their
  spiritual progress -- but in their own ways, their
  mindsets framed by their individual beliefs.

  What I was stressing is that in one's ordinary state,
  one is as much fallen/imperfect as the other -- as far
  from God as the other.

  Yes, I agree, as to the disparities between a
  Christian and a Hindu you point out.

  Thanks and regards.

  ~ CR

  ~ CR

Diana Manister <[log in to unmask]> wrote:         CR wrote: "I find his imagination unifying and synthesizing what are apparently disperate."
  Yes, but his work describes a movement from a fallen state in which man and God are disparate to the unity in the Christian manner in the 4Qts. The quest involves obstacles, loss of the path and its regaining, conflicts and dichotomies, passage through the Chapel Perilous, before the grail is within sight. Otherwise the work would be static and lacking in drama, and Eliot was too good a playwright to create work without tension, suspense and the expression of a passion to overcome a fallen state.
  Diana