>>Diana : More refers to "that viviid consciousness of
>>a dualism felt in the daily habit of humanity."

Diana, when the Vedas and the Upanishads speak of
"That art thou", they speak of the "ultimate reality of
a human being", i.e. his/her true essence, which
he/she should try to realize. That remains an object of
aspiration, as much as in Eliot's poetry, say
in Four Quartets. In "the daily habit of humanity",
man is as much divided from God in the Vedic
philosophy as in any other.

Best,
CR

Carrol I was not attempting to present a thesis on Christianity via the TSE list. I cited the book T.S. Eliot and the Indic Traditions which outlines differences between Christianity and the religion of the Upanishads. Kearns quotes portions of Eliot's own writing on the subject and texts by Paul Elmer More whose view of religion Eliot said he supported which state clearly that a Christian cannot "amalgamate" the command Thou Shalt Love Thy Lord thy God with the Indic belief I am Brahma. More refers to "that viviid consciousness of a dualism felt in the daily habit of humanity." Religion for Eliot, Kearns says, "was the acceptance of this cleavage in our nature."
For further explication of Eliot's view of exoteric and esoteric religious perspectives, see Kearns, chapter 2, "Hindu Traditions."  Best, Diana