Ken,

I understand what you are saying.  It is only my
personal impression.  Eliot the poet seems to me to
have synthesized religious experience.  From a Hindu's
perspective I find I am all with him when I read most
of his poetical works (particularly his 'Ash
Wednesday'), though I feel out of place when I visit a
Church, or at odds with many Christian beliefs.  I
have found myself uncomfortable by many of his
religious positions in his prose works.  But as I
said, it is a personal impression.  I have never
carried it far enough to see if it could be
universally true, for religion could be a subjective
area and could have  parameters not applicable to
literary criticism.