The human mind is so divisive; only Imagination hamonizes, synthesizes,
  and unites/fuses into one.

  I find all religions so pure and good in their beginnings.
  But, once institutionalized, they bifurcate, further and further.
  There is no end to the division.

  Just a thought -- rather naive, maybe.

  ~ CR

        Every religion including that of forest mystics has a political dimension that usually erupts in violence against "non-believers." Plus ca change, plus ca la meme chose, as recent events bear out.
  Marcia Karp wrote:

> And, too, if "his leanings go back several years" before 1925, what is
> the special limiting significance of the year 1925?

Carrol wrote: I can't answer your interesting question -- but I have a wild
speculation. The General Strike of 1926 may just have shook him as a
huge demonstration shook Arnold (leading to his book _Culture and
Anarchy_). Eliot's conversion always seemed as much political as
"spiritual" in any case -- just as the Church of England had originated
in a political act. Seeing his religion as politically grounded would be
one gloss on the strange role of Mary Stuart and Charles I in 4Q.
Moreover, while the Christianity of his later works is new, his
cultural/social/political perspectives, his obsession with order, change
very little.

Carrol