Diana,

  I'm sorry I failed to acknowledge the aptness of your enlightening
  comment at the end of your post yesterday. You wrote:

  "Note that Kearns' observations include drought, water, and purification,
  as well as the physical power of sound, all themes in TWL and other of
  Eliot's poems. Eliot's beliefs about the effects of sound would not conflict with Christian rites, which employ incantation in the same manner.
  Certainly the Roman mass in Latin was almost entirely incantatory in
  modern times, since the congregation did not understand the language.
  (It lost much of this magic when Latin mass was discontinued.) Was the
  High Anglican service in English in Eliot's day?  Lancelot Andrewes' texts
  operate powerfully on the level of pure sound. The more I think and learn
  about Eliot the more I am awed by his genius!"

  Best regards.

  ~ CR