Thanks for the link, Ken!
It's an interesting issue, indeed. My point was simply
that if we want to speak of "real" art (or better
said: of art at all), we need to take into account
that the piece is being created by the genius of an
author. Now, whether this implies that we are speaking
here of two personalities, or of two aspects of one
personality, or of something entirely different - is a
separate question. I'm not sure such a distinction
(between the author and the person who sat down to
write the book) is needed though. I would even say
that the poem is written by that very person, with all
his/her states of mind. BUT, what makes a poem a piece
of art is the fact that the genius of the author made
it independent of her/his personality, IN SO FAR that
it is possible to encrypt it without the recourse to
her/his biography; moreover, to call upon their
biography when interpreting the piece of art, would
mean to disrespect the artist's genius.
It's interesting that the same situation we have in
the case of philosophical writings, and nobody
complains about that. I think we have the similar
aspect of geniality (pardon my English, maybe it's
"geniusity"?) here, as well as we do when we speak of
scientific discoveries.

Cheers!

Dunja

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=5755318#email