        Diana,

  This is just exploratory -- I wonder if it makes
  any sense.

  In 'East Coker' Eliot talks of a person's two selves --
  one that is imperfect but aspiring ("to get from where
  you are not") toward a state of perfection ("to arrive
  where you are"):

                                      In order to arrive there,
To arrive where you are, to get from where you are not,
    You must go by a way wherein there is no ecstasy.
In order to arrive at what you do not know
    You must go by a way which is the way of ignorance.
In order to possess what you do not possess
    You must go by the way of dispossession.
In order to arrive at what you are not
    You must go through the way in which you are not.
And what you do not know is the only thing you know
And what you own is what you do not own
And where you are is where you are not.

  (emphasis mine)

  Earlier, in The Waste Land, Eliot hints at the
  moment of disillusion when one becomes
  conscious of one's imperfect state:

  Only at nightfall, aethereal rumours
  Revive for a moment a broken Coriolanus

  In Ash-Wednesday the protagonist is
  conscious of his unworthiness and
  visualizes his earthly self undergoing
  purgation.

  Presumably, Eliot's Prufrock speaks of his two
  selves -- the "you" and "I" -- one of whom seems
  to be his "real" self, the enlightened one who
  guides and admonishes him -- the other one is
  painfully aware of his inadequacies.

  Is it possible to study Eliot's poetry as an expression
  of this dichotomy between his central character's
  two selves?

  If it's viable, it might throw some light on the
  subject/object dichotomy of the speaker in
  Preludes -- the subject observing things
  and passing comments -- the object
  is part of the scene, clasping the yellow soles
  of feet in the palms of both soiled hands.

  Regards.

  ~ CR

Diana Manister <[log in to unmask]> wrote:         By "resolution of the subject/object dichotomy"
  I mean consciousness of the illusory nature of self
  as a separate entity. Tat Tvam Asi. I see this as a possible theme in Eliot's poetry. Diana