Diana Manister wrote:

> CR wrote: I'm sorry but your remark, "Eliot, though an imaginative
> genius, had his own divisive vision. Alas." is rather off-the-cuff,
> Diana.There should be no confusion on this count if one reads Lyndon
> Gordon's "Eliot's Early Years". I got my basic clarity on the subject
> from it.
>
> CR: Rather than off the cuff, my remark was based on documentation as
> cited in this excerpt from the Boston Globe: [clip]

Time that is intolerant
Of the brave and innocent,
And indifferent in a week
To a beautiful physique,

Worships language and forgives
Everyone by whom it lives;
Pardons cowardice, conceit,
Lays its honours at their feet.

Time that with this strange excuse
Pardoned Kipling and his views,
And will pardon Paul Claudel,
Pardon's him *for writing well.
	W.H. Auden
*Yeats

[Incidentally, pay no attention to that drunken lickspittle turncoat
Hitchens.]

The sense of the world and of human life embodied in Gerontion, the
Sweeney poems, TWL, and 4Q may be pretty offensive, but one can say the
same of Easter 1916 or France, an Ode or Epistle II (To a Lady) or
Religio Laici (the last by a turncoat like Hitchens), but they all meet
Auden's criterion ("by whom it [language] lives"), and in addition the
significance of any poem is not limited to its meaning -- i.e., the
"application" of a poem is up to the reader.

Carrol

P.S. Is anyone on this list a reader of Gertrude Stein? I suppose it's
sort of futile to start reading her at the age of 76 (one's brain
becomes brittle), but I'm almost to page 200 of her "A Novel of Thank
You" and am fascinated though I as yet can make no sense of it.  It has
some wonderful sentences, e.g.,

	"Once upon a time there came to be left altogether to himself the one
who came to see him too and very likely they did exchange saying who
could have been made to look as well and as often as they had
occasionally wished it to be by themselves." (Chapter CLXXI, p. 147
Dalkey edition)