[log in to unmask] writes:

Peter wrote:

The poem as a perceptual device of one's own  world, and one's
own experience is much more  relevant.

I take it you buy into the French view that  the text exists apart from the
human being that created it. Perhaps that old  scenario of monkeys typing texts
can be updated to computers creating texts  unrelated to human experience,
leaving readers in solipsistic bliss.  Diana

A lot of forays into and around and around the aesthetic theory maze are
being made just now !

- isn't it usually a case of layers of perception and multiple perspectives
/ meanings ? - eg.,  about which particular facets of the  author/maker's
skilfully-cut gem happened to sparkle for you as the perceiver at  that particular
moment and in your particular state of [emotional *and* factual]  mind. Or,
thinking of a wellknown biblical image, isn't our perception as  'knowing'
adults of such things often of the 'but through a glass, darkly'  kind ?
Similarly, this kind of extraneous 'knowledge' may reveal some  more facets but often
at the expense many of other [ often much brighter]  ones but doesn't it always
inevitably and irrevocably alter that  experience ?
But, however we define them, suppose  we're still discussing and looking-at
cut gemstones as opposed  to crude and ugly lumps of coal or rock or stone.....

David