From: "Dunja Seselja" <[log in to unmask]>
To: <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Monday, September 11, 2006 4:25 AM
Subject: Re: Identity of the speaker in 'Preludes'

Dear Marcin,

Here is finally my reply to your mail...

I like how you put it - that "both passivity and
routine stem from the speaker's existential condition,
which on the epistemic level is expressed, I'd venture
to say, by the sense of his/her dislocation." Could we
maybe again refer here to the Heideggerian concept of
"dislocation", i.e. the point when a Dasein looses its
ground in the world of "man", turning back to itself?

As for my "composition" consisting of the three poems,
they seem to me more interconnected (seen from the
perspective of finiteness etc.) than the rest of the
poems in the volume... But ok, I might be just as well
very wrong in this assumption. It would be even more
interesting, indeed, to show this problem in the
entire volume. (And yes, "structure" is a dreadful
expression when we speak about poetry, but so are many
other, often inescapable, terms :)

I completely agree with you that "passivity and
routine, in general, are interdependent. They are two
sides of the same coin, or as Heidegger has it, they
comprise the inauthentic response to the finitude (and
the anxiety)...". I also think that the passivity of
the speaker "may be interpreted rather as
contemplative attentiveness, which is an experience
far from in-activity." Don't we here have a dialectic
o passivity-activity, dependence on the world -
independence of it, subject - object etc.?

You said: "I do not think that the speaker in the
third Prelude is quite there... He/she is alone, but
it does not follow that he/she is "back to himSELF /
herSELF." I'd say that here we again have a
dialectical turn: from the world - back to oneself -
back to the world, now seen from the eyes of the self.
Would do you think about that?

But I don't think I could agree with your claim that
"neither the speaker in Preludes, nor J.A.
are-in-the-world (in Heideggerian sense). Neither of
them authentically experiences time (again - in
Heideggeran sense)." Haven't we said that exactly
because they are in-the-world, they experience the
routine etc.? I also don't see why they wouldn't
"authentically" experience time, for isn't their
awareness of their finitude exactly going in that
direction? A sort of "guarantee" for that would be the
moment of loosing-the-ground (in the Heideggerian
sense), which I've mentioned above.

As for the notion of time, I must admit I'm not sure
what exactly I should answer... On the one hand, we
have time as an "independent" instance (both in
Preludes and in the Love Song), i.e. as something over
and above human existence. But on the other hand, the
time receives such a status only through human
finiteness, so that its "independence" becomes
something highly dependent (dialectics again?).
What would You say about the time here? And how would
you relate it to Heideggerian notion of time and/or
time as chronos?

Best regards!

Dunja