I was raised in the Greek Catholic religion. This church is or was, before the Eastern European diaspora around the turn of the last century, the Catholic church in Slovakia, and uses the Byzantine rite. Easter and Christmas are a few weeks after the Roman Catholic celebrations and were known in my family as "Grandma's Easter" and "Grandma's Christmas." We children loved having Christmas twice! Diana

.

From:  robert meyer <[log in to unmask]>
To:  [log in to unmask]
Subject:  Re: Some Eliot family religious info
Date:  Fri, 8 Sep 2006 02:59:39 -0700
> From: Peter Montgomery
>
>2. All the Anglicans in my family have, since I can remember,
>celebrated Christmas and Easter at the same time as the
>Catholics. I believe only what are called the Oriental Churches,
>ie. The Eastern Orthodox and Catholic Churches follow the
>Julian Calendar, and so celebrate Christmas and Easter two
>weeks (I think) later.

When I was talking about the Anglican dates of Easter, when I was talking
to Jonathan in 1998 it seemed like his (Anglican) Ash Wed was a couple of
weeks after my (Lutheran) Ash Wed (therefore, different dates for Easter in
that year).  I attended an Orthodox service that Lent so I knew that their
Easter was a few weeks after, so I thought they were connected.  Now it
seems like he was using the Gregorian-Catholic date and I was using the
Julian-Catholic date (see below, near the bottom right of the table).

>http://5ko.free.fr/en/easter.php?y=20

It looks like there could be 4 dates for Easter!  Here's some other links
that could be useful.

http://www.smart.net/~mmontes/ec-cal.html
http://www.albion.edu/english/calendar/easter.htm
http://www.christianitytoday.com/ct/2004/114/42.0.html
http://geography.about.com/library/misc/uceaster.htm
http://christianity.about.com/od/faqhelpdesk/qt/whyeasterchange.htm
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Computus

> From: Peter Montgomery
>
>3. The Catholic Church's version of the Bible has a few more
>books (and parts of books) in it than does the King James and
>most other Protestant Bibles. The Catholic Church recognises
>a version of the Hebrew Scripture (aka Old Testament) called
>the Septuagint (Greek), which was widely used in the early
>Church, but for the books in question no original Hebrew
>version is extant, only the Greek. Protestant versions generally
>include the extra books but list them as apocryphal. The
>Catholics also have a set of apocryphal books, not
>usually included in the printed version. Protestants call those
>books pseud-epigrapha (falsely written?).

Yeah, using the same word ("apocrypha") for entirely different sets of
books is a mess.  The set that Catholics include in the OT and Protestants
call the Apocrypha [note the capital "A"] are:

>1 Esdras (or 3 Ezra)
>2 Esdras (or 4 Ezra)
>Tobit
>Judith                        [...similar to the story of Jael in Judges
4...]
>Wisdom of Solomon [...chapt 2 seems to predict the Crucifixion]
>Sirach
>Baruch
>Epistle of Jeremiah
>Prayer of Manasseh
>Esther (additions)
>Susanna                  (addition to Daniel)
>Bel and the Dragon (addition to Daniel)
>1 Maccabees
>2 Maccabees

(you can read them on-line at web-site:
  http://etext.virginia.edu/rsv.browse.html )

******************************

The set that Catholics call apocryphal and Protestants call
pseud-epigraphal ("falsely ascribed to") is huge and getting bigger all the
time (as more documents are discovered, like at Nag Hammadi).  Stuff like:

>On the Origin of the World
>The Book of Enoch [...the one quoted in Jude's epistle in the NT]
>The Secrets of Enoch [...different book entirely]
>The Testaments of the 12 Patriarchs [...the sons of Jacob]
>Apocalypse of Moses
>Psalms of Solomon
>Odes of Solomon
>The War of the Sons of Light and the Sons of Darkness
>Protoevangelium of James [...from Mary's birth to Jesus' birth]
>Gospel of Nicodemus
>Gospel of Bartholomew
>Gospel of Philip
>[Infancy] Gospel of Thomas
>["Secret Sayings"] Gospel of Thomas
>Acts of Thomas
>Gospel of Peter
>Acts of Peter
>Apocalypse of Peter
>Acts of Peter and Paul
>Acts of Paul and Thecla
>Paul's Epistle to the Laodiceans
>Apocalypse of Paul

and on and on.  You might be interested in looking at these sites.  The
"New Advent" site is Catholic, but has some of the documents (that are not
on the other sites) but you have to scroll down to the near the end for
apocryphal (=pseud-epigraphal) books.

http://www.newadvent.org/fathers/
http://www.webcom.com/~gnosis/naghamm/nhl.html
http://www.gnosis.org/welcome.html