Ken A. wrote:

"Personally, I think readings of TWL as misogynist or "confused identity" are bogus (not insincere). They import a present day ideology and try to fit the poem to it, i.e. they start wrong and stay wrong. If you (in general) are an adherent of that ideology, you overlook all the bad logic. I realize that is not the popular view, but as others have pointed out, it's not about voting or popularity"

It's not important whether "misognyny" was a popular noun when Eliot wrote the poem or not. TWL as well as Prufrock are so fraught with explicit and implicit examples of fear and loathing of women, their smells, their nerves, of their supposed emasculating intentions, the horror of the domestic entrapment women represent, etc. etc. that however you phrase it his narrators do not like women. Why a poet would create such narrators if in fact he did not share these feelings is a question I cannot answer. Diana
.