At 11:39 AM 9/24/2006, Vishvesh Obla wrote:
>CR,
>
>I find the statement made by Diana true to a large
>extent as far his prose works are concerned.  In
>poetry, I believe we see the 'artist' and in prose we
>see a different person (How true is Lawrence's
>statement 'Never trust the artist; trust the tale' !).

  This seems unlikely to me not what Lawrence said, which should be a first
principle of criticism, but that there were two Eliot's in the prose and
poetry. My guess is that the claim reflects more -- much more -- on the
maker than on the poet/critic. What is it we think we know about the one
that makes it so different from the other?

As far as Eliot's vision being divisive goes, I don't give this much
credence. It's certainly no more divisive than, say, Lao-Tse and his
partial insight and quite likely a lot less so.

  In any case, make mine High-TSE. ;-)

Cheers,
Ken A.