Donald Hall in his essay on Eliot describes meeting him at Faber some time before his marriage as a stooped, slow-moving old man. After he married Valerie, Hall writes that he looked ten years younger, stood straight and was as debonair as a matinee idol.

From: Peter Montgomery <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Oh dark, dark, dark.
Date: Tue, 19 Sep 2006 03:11:08 -0700

Seemd to me to be quite compatible with Eliot's religious and poetic sensibilities.

The focus on simplicity is crucial.I think Eliot was searching
for that child-like simplicity. The joy he found with Valerie
seems to reflect some success in that regard. Perhaps Old
Possum's Book of Practical Cats is another reflection of its being
part of whom Eliot was.

Perhaps once the simplicity is apprached, the poetry weakens or is not
needed, for the irritation of complexity diminishes. Hence the
inadequacies of his poem to Valerie, and of The "Cultivation of Christmas Trees".

Cheers,
Peter