Diana Manister wrote:

> Rick, thanks for the information! I recall reading in some biography
> that Eliot broke down in tears when he was informed of Vivienne's
> death, which struck me as odd since he never visited her during her
> hospitalization and avoided her before that. If he knew she killed
> herself, it might explain his reaction.

As you can read in Ackroyd (pp. 281-282, and I've seen it written
elsewhere too, I'm sure) Eliot had a few reactions to Vivien's death.
Supposedly Eliot mentioned not long after that he was busy "burying a
woman."

Robert Sencourt mentioned that a few days after Vivien's death TSE
inserted a memorial into the paper -- for someone else!

I'll accept these as facts but I'm not sure what to make of them.

Regards,
    Rick Parker

P.S.  I hope you can get Hotmail to send plain text soon.  My browser
blows up when I try to respond to your HTML formatted mail with its
Hotmail malformed styles (I can read it fine though I have to jump
through hoops to do a reply-to as opposed to just sending a new
message.)