Dear Dunja, thank you so much for sharing your erudition! I am grateful for it since I am learning a great deal!

With regard to physicalism and the subject/object dichotomy:

Since at the quantum level and beyond matter itself behaves contrary to known physical laws, charged particles at great distance from each other responding to each other faster than the speed of light -- the only absolute in Einsteinian physics -- and exhibiting other charmed and strange behaviors, the definition of matter itself must change. The distinction between physical and non-physical would then require re-definition, perhaps removing their opposition to each other.

By "resolution of the subject/object dichotomy" I mean consciousness of the illusory nature of self as a separate entity. Tat Tvam Asi. I see this as a possible theme in Eliot's poetry. Diana

From:  Dunja Seselja <[log in to unmask]>
To:  [log in to unmask]
Subject:  Re: causality
Date:  Tue, 12 Sep 2006 12:13:25 -0700
--- Diana Manister <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

Would "deep physicalism" allow for the resolution of
the subject-object dichotomy on that level? Perception
of the duality might be as illusory in that system as
in the Vedas! Diana

===============================

What do you exactly mean by "the resolution of the
subject-object dichotomy"? I'm not sure I understood
that bit... In any case, according to the "strong"
versions of physicalism, everything in the world can
be explained by means of physics, including the mind.
In other words, mind is just another physical system,
and in so far, we don't have the mind/body dualism
anymore.

Cheers!

Dunja