My wife and I took the 150 mile trip up from the bootheel to see if the Swallow-tailed Kite was still around (she still calls it the Scissor-tailed Kite).  Got there around 9:30 and waited and looked with the Bathke's (sp?) and Kinders for a long while, having to run to the van on 2 or 3 occasions for rainstorms.  After a couple hours of no-show, I went and hauled my heavy, asthmatic self up that big pile of white rocks for another 45 minutes...still no show.  Decided to give the magic gate one more try, because otherwise, I knew I'd get home and see someone's report on MoBirds..."The Kite was seen JUST as some poor loser from the bootheel left..."

Anyway, 5 minutes (at 12:35pm) after arriving at the gated area the second time, the bird appeared.  And let me tell you, he put on a clinic in aeronautics!  He fly-catched (fly-caught?), then hovered no more than 20 feet over our heads, eating his dragonfly, and watching me as if to say "Hey look!  A BALD one!!!"

I'd like to publicly thank Charlene for finding, reporting, and updating this bird every day.  And for her most excellent directions to the gate.

Afterwards, had dinner at Olive Garden (grilled salmon and veggies) but sadly, they were out of Berries and Zabaiano....

Overall, a most excellent Sunday.  Aint Life Grand!!!!

Leslie K Koller
Sikeston, Scott Co, Missouri