Despite over three inches of rain while I was gone the few pools left at the former  wetland have continued to shrink. I think it will take a pretty good flood now to ever get the area back like it was. I guess when life gives you bad apples you make applesauce, or something like that. Anyway there was quite a bit of activity this morning in all the vegetation that has grown up. One of my favorite things this time of year is to be out in a field surrounded by Bobolinks. I just really like seeing their  colors and hearing them. There were several small groups moving around landing in the wild sunflowers. The biggest flock of 50+ birds actually turned out to be made up of close to half Dickcissels when they were perched up all around. I didn't take my camera - would have had a hard time keeping it dry. I was wet over my waist due to all the dew. {Do the Dew? } Still I have images in my mind of 5 young Dickcissels on one sunflower and three Boblinks on another. I think the
 wetness worked to my advantage as alot of birds were sitting up preening and trying to get dry. Even had a Sedge Wren up high on a sunflower leaf sitting in the sun. Heard about 25  of them calling and singing on the area. Saw a Grasshopper Sparrow perched too.There were also Red-winged Blackbirds, Indigo Buntings, and Golfinches moving around. It was warm enough being wet didn't bother me much. Bunch of Swallows- mostly Northern Roughwings were feeding over head. Heard half a dozen Bell's Vireos singing while I was out there. Very nice little outing.

   BTW , Seeing the Dickcissels reminded me of something. When Larry Lade was helping me do the Grassland BBS routes I messed up couple of times trying to say Six Dickcissels. Try saying it fast three times! Larry thought it was quite funny and would try and make me repeat it and remind me of it later. I sometimes had trouble with Thwee Wedwings too!

  Later, Steve Kinder
  Chillicothe, Livingston Co