Mobirders, this is partially a repetition of my reply to Charlene's report, so you may prefer to skip it.

  This morning we discovered that we had seven birders present who had not yet seen the Swallow-tailed Kite discovered two weeks ago today by Charlene Malone.  Therefore, we decided to revisit our last week's locales, believing we were unlikely to find a life area bird for the majority anywhere else in our fifty miles and that the kite might soon be heading south, probably never to return to St Charles County.

 The Kite was seen at 1230pm after no sightings by 17 visitors from 930am to 1045am from the Magic Gate. The WGNSS group returned after lunch
and a brief foray for a Blue Grosbeak (unsuccessful) at Weldon Spring
Katy Trail River Access where 3 of us had seen a young Grosbeak on Tuesday.
Our check on the road behind Hampden Lake had also been unsuccessful
this morning for a grosbeak, although we did hear a few peeps from invisible Bell's
Vireos.  Leon spotted an American Kestrel sitting on a sign behind a bunker and there were Mockingbirds, Eastern Kingbirds, Am Goldfinch, Great Blue Heron, and Green Heron as well.

 The Swallow-tailed was kiting around with an adult and a young Mississippi Kite.
  One dive past the youngster was a dramatic demonstration of the size difference between the two species.  We could also see both species nibbling on their catches on the wing.  Great fun after a downer morning.

  Jackie Chain
  St Louis County