No new species for the fall not previously reported.

  Jean Cook and I started out in the rain at 730 this morning, heading for Highway 79 north toward Clarence Cannon Unit of Great Rivers NWR.

  By the time we got to Keeteman Rd Sod Farms, it was just sprinkling, but there were no Buff-breasted Sandpipers to be seen amongst the Killdeer, Starlings, and Pecs.  On to Winfield's Sandy Slough where among 50-100 Great Egrets and a few Great Blue Herons, we found 4 Willets, one Yellowlegs, one Ring-billed Gull and a fair number of peeps as viewed from the causeway.  The Willets were new for the year for both of us. It looked like an increase in the number of DC Cormorants in the river. I didn't notice any Am White Pelicans.  Lots of swallows including barn, bank and cliff.

  On to Kings Lake unit of BK Leach (many Grasshopper Sparrows) where we had the great good fortune to cross paths with Tom Borman and Dave Rogles, Tom just preparing to photograph two of the Sandhill Cranes which the guys had just refound.  They graciously agreed to wait a few minutes while we were directed to a viewpoint of the cranes further on.  Jean spotted them and we were off to look for Jim Jackson and Don Hays'  Loggerhead Shrike at Waterfowl Headquarters.  No luck which was followed by a half-hearted brief sortie from the south parking lot of the Bittern Basin unit produced Dickcissels and Common Yellowthroats, no Marsh Wrens heard or seen.  The sun was out now.

  We drove on to Clarence Cannon where the roads were littered with Horned Larks that kept flying ahead of the car.  Jean had not yet seen a Sedge Wren this year, so we stopped a few times before spying one of the singers sitting up, then two more..

  After lunch, we stopped back at Keeteman where we found fellow-birder Jim had discovered the afternoon arrival of Buff-breasted, also new for Jean.  We agreed the 26th of August had been a very satisfactory birding day with help from our friends..

  Jackie Chain
  St Louis County