Dear Mentor Birders,

I was out at Eagle Bluffs CA, Boone County, this morning from 10:00 to
11:30, during all the Rain (just a Continual Light Rain), and saw what I
Believe to be a Juvenile SORA (or YELLOW RAIL - I Wish!!!). Here is what I
saw:

First of All: My Sighting took place at the Beginning of the Middle
Distribution Channel before you get to the Last Channel where you Turn to
is a small 15" to 24" Sand/Mud Area along the Shore in between the
Vegatation and the Water, there were Several (20 to 25 or so) Shorebirds
(Lesser Yellowlegs, Solitary Sandpipers, Least Sandpipers, a couple of
Killdeer, and one or two others...) in the water and along the edges, and
My Bird, who was on the Sand/Mud Shore and in the Vegatation (I don't
believe that I saw him go into the water, except for quick and brief
jaunts...).

A Plump Medium Sized Bird (7-1/2" to 8-1/2" or so - Compared to Lesser
Yellowlegs, Least Sandpipers and Solitary Sandpipers that were near by...)
with a Reddish-Brown Head, Shoulders and Tail area; Very Dark Brown to
Blackish somewhat Mottled Back and Wings, with a Light Cream Colour just
Below the Wing's Edge...; Yellowish-Cream  on Face, Chest and Rump - this
Stood Out to me, Especially on the Rump (just below the Tail); Buff Belly
and Under the Wings (when Flapping them...); a Very Short, Yellowish-Brown
Bill and Very Short Tail; and a somewhat Dark Eye (from what I could
tell...)

The Bird Appeared to be VERY NERVOUS, as he was Running all about (for
short Distances, maybe 3' or so), Fluttering his Wings, Jumping up a few
inches, Bobbing his Tail up in the air and Darting in and out of the
Vegetation at the edge of the Water. He was also Chasing the other Birds
Off when they got too close, even the Lesser Yellowlegs which were a lot
Taller than he was... He  would go up into the Vegetation for a while 5-10
Minutes and then come Cautiously back out for a while... this went on from
10:30 to 11:20 with a short gap of about 15 Minutes when I Drove down to
Find the DOWITCHER after My Bird had went into the Vegetation...

Well, this is All I have, I Hope that it's enough Information for you to
make a Guess as to what it was... I Very Neat Bird with All of His Hyper
Activity!!! Please let me know what you Think. Thank You, Please Take Care.

Yours,
Jonathan B. Pons
Columbia, Boone County