I don't think it can be assumed that the S-T Kite is from Florida or that it
will depart on the same schedule with Florida birds. (It may well depart
earlier). It is true that 60-65% of the 800-1125 pairs of S-T Kites in the
U.S. breed in Florida. But S-T Kite also breeds west as far as East Texas,
and there is a record of a pair attempting to nest in the White River
Bottoms of Arkansas in 2002. Historically, S-T Kites ranged up the
Mississippi River drainage as far as Minnesota. They also ranged north in
the plains from Texas to Oklahoma and Kansas. The present Missouri bird is
in a location that used to be within the species' historic Mississippi
drainage range.

If the bird is a juvenile, the likliest possibility is that it wandered
north from a breeding site closer to us than peninsular Florida.

A few S-T Kites show up at the Corpus Christi hawk watch in April and
September each year. I spent some time in Texas in April, 1997, both at
Corpus Christi and at High Island, farther east. I heard reports of S-T
Kites in both places while I was there (although I was not fortunate enough
to see one). I wonder if there is not a small remnant "central" breeding
population, which produces the Texas migrants.

Incidentally, Kansas Department of  Wildlife and Parks unsuccessfully
attempted to reintroduce S-T Kite into Kansas a few years back.

Bob Fisher
Independence, Missouri