Conditions looked good at Sunshine Lake (Ray/Lafayette Co.) this
evening. The area received about 1.5 - 2 inches of rain last night,
and the area in front of the Sunshine Sportsman's Club (north end of
the oxbow) has nice sheet water. Much of this has grown up with short
vegetation -- and this is where I counted at least 16 BUFF-BREASTED
SANDPIPERS. From inside the camp I had drop-dead fantastic views of
these guys at less than 30 yards.

Most of the shorebirds at the north end were PECTORAL SANDPIPERS and
KILLDEER, of course, plus one WESTERN SANDPIPER, a handful of LEAST
SANDPIPERS, and a few BAIRD'S SANDPIPERS. There are good mudflats in
addition to the short vegetation in front of the Sportsman's Club. I
probably should have spent more time there, but I moved on when a
thundershower passed over the north end of the lake.

At the southwest end, viewing is distant and difficult, but this is
where the largest concentration of shorebirds was found. Several
SEMIPALMATED PLOVERS ... one possible SANDERLING (too distant for
positive ID) ... STILT, SOLITARY, and SPOTTED SANDPIPERS ... two
DOWITCHER SP. ... about four more BUFF-BREASTED SANDPIPERS ...
several FORSTER'S TERNS and about 20 BLACK TERNS.

Kristi Mayo
Kearney MO (Clay Co.)