Last week, I emailed the list about a strange bird in a tree near the
Community Center where I work here in St. Joseph.  The children were
divided in their opinion of whether it was a dove or a pigeon, but I
couldn't identify it as either one even with my binoculars.

Larry and Brenda Lade were kind enough to come to the Center Friday
morning to help us and identified the bird as a Eurasian Collared Dove.
So now, I have another bird for my life-list, and the children are
excited about having such an exotic bird in the neighborhood.  They kept
peeking out the window all day for another look at it, and in the
process, they began to notice all the other birds we could see from the
Center including cardinals, bluejays, robins, finches, sparrows and
turkey vultures!   So we had some conversation about the importance of
birds and why they prefer some yards over others, and what children can
do to help the birds survive.

Darlene

Dr. Darlene Sybert, Director
Northtown Community Center