I went to Sunshine Lake today and was disappointed to find shore birding
relatively poor. The lake has dried out considerably since I was there about
a week ago, and it looks like good shore bird habitat. However, there were
only a few shore birds at the west end and even less by the Sportsman's
Park. (I did not pay $5 to go into the park, as it did not appear that shore
birds  were using the lake opposite the park.) Perhaps shore birds do not
like walking on hot mud or wading in hot sheet water.

There were a lot of Horned Larks on the mud at the west end, many more than
I have seen together  in one place at this time of year.

I found a Eurasian Collared Dove in downtown Orrick and another along
Highway Z about 1.5 miles to the south (where I had several last week). It
appears that there may be two populations in the Orrick area. Grain
elevators seem to attract ECDOs, and there are lots of them in Orrick and
its surrounding farms.

Bob Fisher
Independence, Missouri