Report for Sun Jul 30 2006

I enjoyed "the" PAINTED BUNTING singing at the Weldon Spring Access to
the Katy Trail (St. Charles County).  The bird appeared near the gravel
road where it crosses the slough, near the entrance to the parking lot.
While the bird was singing I thought I heard a second Painted Bunting
singing in the direction of the boat ramp, way across the corn field.  I
didn't attempt locate it.  Also heard a YELLOW-BILLED CUCKOO in the
vicinity.

At Forest Park (St. Louis City) I watched "the" YELLOW-CROWNED
NIGHT-HERON in one of the ponds between Union Blvd. and Grand Dr., south
of Lindell Blvd.  There were two other nigh-herons nearby, one a
juvenile BLACK-CROWNED NIGHT-HERON.  The third one disappeared into the
branches and leaves high up in one of the trees.  The pond where the
Common Moorhen was first reported was busy with GREEN HERONs.  It's a
shame that there's widespread tree damage in the park from the wicked
storms that blasted through the area July 19 and 21.

I recently watched, around my home, what I believe is a BLUE DRAGONFLY.
If my ID is incorrect, I'd sure appreciate feedback from the dragonfly
pros.

Photos here:

http://mike-thelen.smugmug.com/gallery/1721911

Mike Thelen