   Hello all,    On my way up to Bowling Green for a fishing expedition I
went up along the Hwy 70 corridor. At Winfield there was nothing spectacular
but increased numbers of pelicans, cormorants, gulls, and quite a few terns.
The slough is growing up with vegetation so the numbers of shorebirds are
going down but the variety is pretty much the same as last week. At B.K.
Leach I ran into Dave Rogles who did report seeing 4 adult sandhill cranes,
I couldn't find them but I guess they're still around. The best bird and
birding for me was at the King's Lake unit where I found 1 MARBLED GODWIT.
If you park at the corner just pass the headquarters and walk the dike back
a little bit there are lots of shorebirds and the godwit was in there. Also
in the flock were Solitary Sandpiper, Least Sandpiper, Semipalmated
Sandpiper, Lesser and Greater Yellowlegs, Stilt Sandpriper, Pectoral
Sandpiper, Killdeer, Semi-palmated Plover, plus there might have been one or
two more I couldn't pick out. Also in the area was a juvenile Little Blue
Heron and in the trees along the stream was a surprising Black-Billed
Cuckoo.
    At Bittern Basin the only things I could find where pied-billed grebes,
coots, and a couple families of wood ducks. Not to sound preachy or anything
but if anyone has plans to walk through any of the areas up there be very
sure to watch the sky, when I arrived it was a very non-threatening gray. By
the time I was half way around the northern impoundment it started to rain
and then a pretty nasty thunderstorm hit. Luckily all my equipment works
again but it was not a fun experience. So it wouldn't hurt to keep an eye
out.

Good Birding
Eric Schuette