It seems that with the hot weather, storms and power outages it
has been very slow here.  Lois and I just got back from visiting
my sons family in Japan and of course, we did manage to sneak
out on a few birding ventures. The biggest disappointment was not
seeing one wading bird or gull along the coast, mouth of Tokyo Bay
in Yokosuka area.  Inland was very mountainous and jungle like, so
birds were hard to see, but easy to hear.

Birds
http://atsmith.smugmug.com/gallery/1576917

Butterflies and bugs
http://atsmith.smugmug.com/gallery/1594091

There was one bird driving us nuts, heard almost everywhere, even
from balcony of son’s place in town, took two weeks before we saw
him and finally get a photo.  I went thru every bird song I could
find and bingo, the indisputable song was of a Japanese (Oriental)
Bush Warbler.  Read that almost never seen after the leaves arrive.
See him in action: Four photo gif file so might take a few minutes
to load.
http://atsmith.smugmug.com/photos/78841113-O.gif

We had a wonderful time on this once in a lifetime trip, seeing
two grandkids for the first time.  Managed a to get a lot of
family photos. I also shot many out the car window driving around.

Links to around Japan galleries:
http://atsmith.smugmug.com/gallery/1625758
http://atsmith.smugmug.com/gallery/1606838
http://atsmith.smugmug.com/gallery/1606731
http://atsmith.smugmug.com/gallery/1625910
http://atsmith.smugmug.com/gallery/1652817
http://atsmith.smugmug.com/gallery/1657424

Counting down eight days till retirement,
Happy birdin’
Al