I just returned from one of the hottest Boy Scout Camps on record down by Osceola, Mo. If anyone has been there, they know exactly where I am talking about. Just a couple of miles east of the camp is a little town (maybe 20 people) called Iconium. In this little town is Scott's General Store and right next to the store is a 2 story white house. The store owners live in this house next door and for years have put out many hummingbird feeders. The number of hummers these feeders draw reminds me of the Patton's or Beatty's in Arizona.

  Anyway, the day before I was to leave camp, I finally asked the owners if they ever see hummingbirds of any other species than Ruby-throated. The wife said, "Yes, in fact there is a different one that has been coming to the feeder for a few days now". She described the hummingbird as larger than a Ruby-throated. Much brighter green than a Ruby-throated and having a decurved bill. She said it is not there all the time and is easier to see later in the afternoon. After hearing that, I thought to myself, "What an idiot", I could have been camping in their front yard for 10 days in the shade with a breeze, looking for an out-of-place hummer. I could only stay around there for about an hour at the time with no luck.

  I asked her about Rufous Hummingbirds and she said that she has had up to 5 or 6 before, but usually gets a least 1 or 2 every year about the end of September and into October. There are many, many feeders up with picnic tables all around the front yard for the Boy Scouts or whoever to sit and eat/drink Nehi floats and watch the hummingbirds. And you are usually constantly ducking from hummers zooming by. The owner says that she usually leaves the feeders up until about September 11 and then takes all of them down exept 1 which she usually leaves up until around the end of November. I plan on going back down there but I am not sure when I can get away so I thought that during these summer doldrums, others might want to enjoy these hummers.

  If anyone has a chance to get down that way, it is a very unique place with swarms of hummingbirds. It is about 14 miles east of Lowry City off of 13 Highway south of Clinton, Mo. not far from Truman Lake.

  Good Birding and Good Luck,

  Kyle Driggers
  Liberty, Mo.