I finally took the time this saturday morning to track down the meadowlark I've been hearing for a week or two now.  After getting close enough to hear it clearly, I can say the song is that of a \Western Meadowlark; if I were farther west I wouldn't have thought twice about calling it a WEME.  The visuals were pretty convincing too... it was much duller and grayer than the surrounding easterns, the head pattern was not as striking, and it has less white in the tail.  I am convinced.

  If anyone is interested, it is in pool 1 (the northernmost) of bittern basin.  By standing on the levee separating 1 and 2, you look out toward a mound of dirt covered in vegetation, there is a dry area out there that it seems to stay in.

  Also notable: a quick check of the King Rail brood revealed that at least 5 chicks remain... this is the first time I've seen more that 3 at a time, and I believe there was at least one more hidden and calling.  Who knows, perhaps all 8 have made it this far.

  Abby
  Pike Co