Larry,
I appreciate your messages about your birding adventures in the St.
Joseph area--both because they are interesting and because I am a new at
birding in this area and looking for good sites.

My most amazing experience so far was in our small back yard where we had
just put up a hanging feeder,  a platform feeder, and a modified drip.
We discovered a whole wild world out there with not only all the more
common area birds (cardinals, blue jays, house sparrows, house and
purple and gold finch, mourning doves, grackles, etc), but also
chipmunks, squirrels, rabbits, hawks and--high overhead, using the giant
evergreen and oak trees as a perch or performing their fly-catching
acrobatics--many Eastern Kingbirds.  From what I have read, those are
common birds in this area, too, but I had never seen one myself.

At Northtown Community Center (across from Humboldt Grade School, just
over the bluff from the river), we have been seeing a large white bird
that we can not identify.  No binolculars there unfortunately, but we
see him perched at the top of a tall tree on a dead branch across the
street about noon every day.  Other much smaller birds flock around him.
 So far, I have not been able to stay at the window long enough to see
him fly away (which might help me identify him), and the kids are split
about 50-50 on whether he is a gull or a pigeon, but do we have either
of those birds in this area?

Thanks again for writing about the St. Joe area.

Darlene