I have a patch in NW Arkansas that I bird almost every week, and count
every bird.  What that discipline does is show up the gradual decline of
the summer residents.  For a few weeks I'll see a lot of immatures, but
then it gets quiet.  Since I'm covering the same ground, i get to expect
individuals in certain territories, and notice them when they go missing
for a couple of weeks.  Seeing the first bird of the year is easy to
notice, but the last bird of the season is a non-event, very low
salience, but if I go back through the records, I can see that that
happens about the same time for each species.  I'm flakey like most
about getting out in the heat, so my records are weaker during July and
August.  For instance the last Orchard Oriole was three weeks ago, and
sure enough, they start getting talked about on the Texas list about
that time.  Highlight the value of the CACHE records for those who drag
themselves out in the heat.  Go really early, there's still birdsong
until around 9 o'clock.

--
J Pat Valentik
Huntsville AR 72740