On my way down to check on the Bobolinks and Scissor-tailed Flycatcher, Lake Contrary and Muskrat Lake, I first went over to Rosecrans Airport because of a tip that shorebirds were beginning to congregate over there. Arriving at the bridge over Browning Lake at the airport I saw quite a few Great Blue Herons and Great Egrets. Continuing on towards the Dupree Conservation Area I found about 250 shorebirds on the north side of the levee which one crosses to get to the conservation area. I estimated the break down of the shorebirds to be about:
  150 Killdeer, 50 Pectoral, 30 Least, 10 Solitary, 10 Spotted Sandpipers, 5 Lesser Yellowlegs and 1 Greater Yellowlegs.

  I found neither the BOBO or STFL when I went over to the lakes south of Saint Joseph. I hope that they are still around.

  I did see Eastern and Western Kingbirds, Eastern and Western Meadowlarks, Loggerhead Shrikes (2) and eight (8) Northern Mockingbirds. All the swallows except Cliff. About ten (10) Lark Sparrows and three (3) Grasshopper Sparrows.

Larry Lade
Saint Joseph, MO
Buchanan County