I agree with Steve Kinder that warm winters
probably moved some breeding ranges northward. I'm not sure I agree with his
examples.

Scissor-tailed Flycatcher ranges into Nebraska . They may be expanding
eastward rather than northward. (I'm also seeing lots more Western Kingbirds
in Missouri. Perhaps drought years have created conditions here more like
what they are used to farther west).

Blue Grosbeak breeds well into South Dakota and at least  to
the Wisconsin line in Illinois. It has breed at least to the Iowa line in
northwest Missouri for at least 20 years. New Blue Grosbeaks near Steve may
be benefiting more from dry years than from warm winters and
springs.

Chuck-wills-widows were already up to Bean Lake when the Missouri Atlas
project started in 1987. They were also extending their range westward in
Kansas twenty years ago. They may just be expanding in
all directions.

Warm winters and springs seem more likely to affect the ranges of permanent
residents like Carolina Wren than those of birds that migrate south in
winter. C. Wren
numbers have gone way up where I live. They used to be a forest bird. Now
they are all over the
suburbs.  I subscribe to the Iowa list and note that the Iowans seem to get
excited about
Carolina Wrens. I infer that they are showing up
 where they previously were scarce  in Iowa.  They are probably increasing
northward because more individuals are surviving the warmer winters.

Bob Fisher
Independence, Missouri