I am the one who referred to global warming as a "political issue", which
has Edge a bit put off. I personally believe both the science and the
politics of global warming are appropriate for discussion on a  birding
listserv. The science is of interest to us because we are natural historians
who consider the natural environment in which birds live and how its changes
are affecting  birds.  The politics should interest to us because we are
conservationists.

I have approached the subject somewhat gingerly because of an experience on
another list.  I started a thread about global warming/climatic amelioration
on that list. We had a very informative discussion going for a while (at a
time of year when interesting birding news was scarce), but then someone
felt the need to play Rush Limbaugh, and the discussion degenerated into a
verbal food fight. Although there was more to learn, posts began to come in
that we should "stick to birds," and it was futile to go on with the
science.

At the risk that a similar process may proceed to a similar end, I'll put up
a couple of my early posts to that list here with the understanding that if
Susan blows the whistle and says "Stop!" we'll stop.

Bob Fisher
Independence, Missouri