Neal Young's report adds another piece to the puzzle, which is the picture
of Mississippi Kite's range in  the Osage Plains region of west central
Missouri.  I have seen as many as 14 in a day along the Horton Road.
Presumably they nest all along the Marmeton River.  I have seen as many as 5
in a day in the east unit of 4-Rivers CA and up to 3 at a time in the west
unit. They could be nesting along any of the 4 rivers for which that CA was
named. I've seen a pair roosting by the Osage River at Schell Osage WMA,
whether in Vernon or St. Clair County, I don't know. There is a road  in
Henry County  north and east of Montrose WMA (I forget which road) where as
many as 9 were seen a few years back. If more birders covered the region
more thoroughly in summer so that the whole picture could be pieced
together, I think we would see that they nest in appropriate habitat along
most of the rivers of that region.

In addition, Mississippi Kites have nested in Overland Park, KS in recent
years.

Bob Fisher
Independence, Missouri