MOBirders:

Went to Duck Creek this morning to try to get a couple of first of year
birds (willow flycatcher and black vulture) and some CACHE data.

Best birds:

Mississippi Kites - 2  They were in the Unit "A" section, at Pool H.
Something swooped over the tree line to look me over.  I recognized it as a
MS Kite.  I crossed the ditch (now nearly dry at the entry road into Pool H)
and finally relocated it in a tree on the right side of the big field.  It
flew into a different tree and was soon joined by another MS kite.  They
stayed at the tree line.

Willow flycatcher - also in Unit A - about halfway around the road.
Prothonotary warblers - 7
Chats - 10
Green herons - 4
Great egret - 1
Cedar waxwings - 2 - still near the mulberry tree at the entrance to Duck
Creek.

Too many indigo buntings and yellowthroats to count!

On the way home, disappointed I couldn't locate a black vulture, I turned
west on Highway P, planning to stop at this big hill I know of.  There at
the hill on Hwy P and Wayne Co Road 511, I stopped and watched 5 black
vultures soaring right over me!

Great morning for summer birding.

Judy Bergmann
Rural Wayne County