Went to Cooley Lake CA, Clay County, today mostly to scout butterflies for an NABA count we are doing on Saturday.  Couldn't help noticing the birds as it was very birdy there.  Nothing really unusual, but nice to see so many birds with so little water left.

After seeing so many dry pools with lotus growing up around the big cracks, I didn't realize there was one corner of a pool with water in it.  I couldn't see over the vegetation and as I approached, I ended up flushing 7 Great Egrets and 30 Great Blue Herons.  I've never seen that many GB Herons in one small place at one time before.

Also scared up many quail.  Lots of dickcissel, common yellowthroat, indigo buntings, other expected species.  Horned larks and baby killdeer running around in the road.  Acquired dozens of ticks.

Very interesting article in the July Scientific American on "What Birds See".  Talks about the evolution of color vision and how birds have four types of cones and see uv wavelengths.  I don't see the article on their website yet, but the issue is out.

Linda Williams
Liberty, Clay County, MO