Ran one of my BBS routes this morning; about 6 miles north of Plattsburg, MO (running west to east), Buchanan and Clinton Counties. Highlights:
(5:20-11am)
Northern Bobwhite-78 (Many seen, most heard) This
     species was recorded on 37 of the 50 stops!!
Upland Sandpiper-5 (3 different locations)
Bobolink-8 (4 different locations)
Blue Grosbeak-4 (3 different locations)
Bell's Vireo-4 (3 different locations)
Great-Tailed Grackle-8 (farm pond with cattails)
Henslow's Sparrow-6 (one location)
Did not record Northern Harrier, Loggerhead Shrike.
     (although I had both last year).

Spent the afternoon within a 7 mile radius of Dunn Ranch,
Harrison County, MO. Highlights:
Northern Harrier-1 (male) Near the Hwy. M parking lot.
     This guy stood watch while I took a nap (yes, it was
     hot!)
Pawnee Prarie CA was exploding with Coneflowers!
     Sedge Wren-1
     Bobolink-12
     Henslow's Sparrow-7
     Willow Flycatcher-2 (wet area w/willows about 200 yds..
          north of pkg. lot)
Lotts Creek CA was an interesting diversion:
     Ovenbird-5 (First time I've ever heard Ovenbirds AND
          Bobolinks singing at the same time! Quite the duo...)
     Wood Thrush-2
     Yellow-Throated Vireo-1
     Red-Eyed Vireo-2
     Eastern Wood Pewee-2
     Nice little patch of hardwoods!!
Began working my way back to Dunn Ranch (Birder's
     Direct Route, of course)
     BLACK-BILLED CUCKOO-1 (CR 180, SW of Dunn
          Ranch) Had mind-blowing, point-blank views of this
          one!! BBCU is becoming one of my favorite birds.
     While respectfully following the cuckoo down the fence-
     row on foot, I noticed:
     Willow Flycatcher-2           Bell's Vireo-2
     Rose Breasted Grosbeak-1  Hairy Woodpecker-1
     Henslow's and Bobolinks all over the field bordering the
     north side of CR 180...a very birdy spot!
Good medicine on the west side of Dunn Ranch. Pulled out a chair to savor the evening light. From the "hilltop" overlooks on Hwy D (which is basically the western boundary of Dunn) looking east, a steady chorus of Bobolinks, Western Meadowlarks (with the occasional oddball Eastern), Dickcissels, and Grasshopper Sparrows were a treat for the ears!  Upland Sandpipers were getting wound up in the fields behind me, while a Loggerhead Shrike worked the fencerow to the north. Without a doubt,
Dunn Ranch delivers the goods in June!

While searching in vain for a Vesper Sparrow, a female Belted Kingfisher was a nice surprise near a culvert on Hwy M and another Black-Billed Cuckoo at the intersection of W. 200th St/W. 170 Ln. rounded out a magical evening in NW Missouri!!
Good Birding,
Doug Willis
Kansas City, MO