What a beautiful day we had to be out.  We went to Robertsville State Park and walked the road toward the camping area where we had seen Henslows a couple of years ago.  I thought I heard one as we started up the road, but he was "singing" only sporadically.  About then, eagle-eye Jean spotted a Prairie Warbler in the top of one of the cedars, then two, then three!  They flew around and gave everyone good looks.  On the walk back to the main road, I heard a ssalick of the Henslow from the left..Jean heard it from the right and spotted it sitting up on a spindly weed.  Everyone saw it perched, but I still thought I was hearing one from the left.

  Derick or Jean spotted this one and again everyone saw it.  We heard a third on the walk back to the cars at the entrance.  Nothing much at the picnic area or the turnaround at the river, so we drove to Labadie and a Lark Sparrow obliged us by sitting on the wire just past the barn.  Again, everyone got good looks.  We drove to the Trail House at Shaw Nature Reserve for lunch and heard another Prairie, some Bluebirds, Gnatcatchers, Hummingbirds at the glade overlook . Derick found his year's male Summer Tanager, and we saw one of the usual Phoebes and the nest.  A possible Blue Grosbeak turned out to be another Bluebird.  So we got three of our target birds and enjoyed a beautiful day out.

  Jackie Chain
  St Louis County