Steve Kinder and I visited the Truman Lake Visitors' Center at Warsaw Saturday June 17 and asked Dale (a young lady staff person at the center) about the Painted Bunting. She said, "Oh, we are getting it quite often. Do you want me to show you where we usually see it?"

  "Why yes, that would be great", we responded.

  She then led us over to the plate glass windows from which you can view the wrought iron fence (which keeps visitors from falling down a sheer cliff into the lake. Dale said that they usually saw the bird very close to this wrought iron fence. I glanced over toward the fence and there it was. A very nice male Painted Bunting. He was shortly joined by a couple of male Indigo Buntings. No female bunting showed up.

  So if you are near the Truman Visitors' Center sometime, drop in a ask for Myrna or Dale or one of the other staffers and ask about the Painted Bunting. They should be able to show you exactly where to look for it.

Larry Lade
Saint Joseph, MO
Buchanan County